Search This Blog

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Vilnius to Frankfurt

18/08/12

   Headed out a bit late but was a nice ride down to Vilnius, I went off the main road down till Kaunas and found some nice littler roads with a bit of twisting in the forests. From Kaunas to Vilnius was more main road. Once there I checked into a hotel with a bed setup I had never seen before, and strangely everyone slept with the head out... I slept the other way round.

   Went for a walk around the old town and it is lovely, also very friendly people. I meet a local lady who was showing her man around town, and she was quite happy for me to walk with them for a while and show me where a nice place for beer which had local food. I then meet a UK man who had come China for his brothers Stag do, then later meet another beautiful local women who was happy to chat away for a while with me.
New to me but others seem to recognise them so must be more around like it.
Lots of churchs in Vilnius
Yes lots...
By lots i mean the most in europe in one town.
They had other things too tho.
And tea pots.....mmmm


19/08/12

   Road out a bit late leaving my travel towel behind mmm. I headed out down some back roads instead of main roads, this of course lead to me going on the wrong road a couple of times lol, but made it down to the border at Lazdijai, from there through to Elk and up to Gizycko to a lovely little town and probably one of the worst camp grounds I have stayed at. It was on a marina... so that's lovely, and the main rail line was behind... lol yes woke early for some reason.
 

20/08/12

   From Gizycko I headed north around the lake through Wegorzewa and then along towards the coast. I stopped at a petrol station and asked a couple of local bikers where I could get a Poland flag. Turns out they had left Vilnius the same day I had and had seen me going... so ended up riding together out to the coast and around to Gdansk. I did manage to loss them for a while as it started really pissing down, me being me and not knowing where the next petrol station was, I stopped and put my wet weathers on on the side of the road. The guys had gone into town where there was a petrol station to get changed. So when I carried on I followed the right road for where we where heading but the wrong road for where they where. Fortunately they realised this was possible and one come and got me lol.
The bikes
 
The guys who showed me the way lol, enjoy

   They found a flag makers for me and it was on the road I was heading so took me out to it to get the Poland, German, France flags. Unfortunately they did not have a Silver fern or Kiwi flag as mine is in really bad shape.
The new flag

  I ended up at a touristy spot called Ustka on coast, was a nice place with some interesting things on the beach.
How they stop you from using deck chairs.
I thought this was the coolest thing, you push with your legs for the back and pull on the front for the front legs, meaning you get to ride around as if you are on a real horse.


21/08/12

   Not a big trip from Ustka to Berlin so headed out along the coast road for a while, very... speed, slow, speed, slow, speed, slow. And the Polish can be a bit pushy if you don't travel fast enough when you can. I was surprised when I got near the border and the GPS started saying hey there is a road over the go there lol.

22/08/12

Did the 6hr walking tour of Berlin with a good guide, so lots of history info and beautiful building, Bit tired after but still managed to have a few beers and stayed up late.
We saw museums on the walk
And more museums
And of course the Wall, and the wall they had to put around the Wall to protect it lol
And everyone will recognise this one.
What you don't recognise it??
Haven't you studied history?
This is where Hitler got married and killed himself.....Thats all they can do with a concrete filled bunker.

Check point charlie is also recreated here, right next to McDonald's lol, nicely done

23/08/12

Went to a cool museum, Natural history one, which had lots of fish in jars, also some deformed animals in jars, heaps of skulls, rocks, Stuffed animals. Then wandered back for a few beers
Look at the dents in the knocker pads. this was at a Wall monument area i found from a church that accidently got knocked down 
Snake eating a rat
Deformaties


24/08/12

Headed out a bit late as I had a few to many beers last night. This meant I had to head to Frankfurt by motorway, unfortunately there was a lot of road works in a couple of areas so was very slow. Got to Miguel and Mia's about 19:00 in the village of Buedingen
Lovely breakfast in the village with Miguel and Mia


25/08/12

Went out for breakfast in the village and chatted and went for a couple of beers in the evening, a lovely relaxing day in a local town
Buedingen is an old style village.


26/08/12

Watching the GP and doing the blog...



Special thank you to Miguel and Mia for letting me stay with them for a couple of nights. I look forward to catching up in a month ish when back in Europe.

Enjoy Your Life

No comments: