Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

After the Operation

8/4/13 to 16/4/13

   Well the operation was an interesting experience. First time in hospital for a long long time and it was a Nepalese hospital lol. The doctors where great, even had a Kiwi assistant invovled with the op. And after the operation the nurses where wonderful. They start very young here at least one of the first years made the comment that at 42 I was the same age as her dad. So I asked how old she was, this is a first year nurse, 16yrs so i'm guessing the third years are about 20. Shit that is when they start training in NZ/OZ. The bed was small in the hospital and I had to spend 3 nights in there. 
View from my room
 

   I was very happy to be let out to my hotel although I still had a drain(pipe coming out of stomach to a bag) so I spent all my time in the hotel room with a lovely view of the lake (thats why I picked it, well one reason). The staff here at Dykshia's Hotel have been so helpful also the guys from Cocoon (where I stayed last year) where so helpful. Barray, Hannah and Ben are staying in a place 2 walls away so they've been getting me water and food for a few days.
 

Second dressing change

A very big thankyou to all the people involved with the Operation and recovery. Sending my Love and Happiness your way.

   I've had to get a taxi into/out from hospital every 2 days for a dressing change. And deal with the Nepalese hospital system.... Wow it's a tuff one they want someone with you at all times and first I though this was just a family thing and it may have started that way. Now it is a system where if anything happens you need someone there to go buy/pay for the next thing that is needed....yes this includes in the middle of an operation.... I don't know what would happen if someone went in with a broken leg started having a heart attack on the table. Would the doctor stop and wait till the family member with the patient has gone down to reception and paid for the heart attack treatment and come back with a receipt before they carried on... The doctors I meet would carry on I think but the system may say no.

  This was the bit that worried me the most before the operation. When the nurse said will my friend be there for the operation in case something is needed. I laught and said no if something is need a nurse or doctor will be getting it immediately. My friend will not be standing in a Nepalese que (push of people hoping to get served next) waiting to get something I need during an operation. This came as a bit of a shock but they did change there system many times to suit my needs. So thankyou Fewa City Hospital.

   The hernia operation although very successful was not without some surprises. It turns out it was just a lump of fatty tissue from around the intestine that was traped (probably why there was no real pain). I was told in Shillong hospital that it was not strangualted so was happy to sit here and wait until my parents where home and knew what was going on before getting the operation done. This meant that the lump had become gangrenous by the time they cut it out because it was actually strangulated. They had to use a mesh to strengthen the hole and have made what I hope will be a nice smily face scar lol.

   Today I got my drain bag out, YES, so next to come out is the staples. I am looking forward to having a proper shower rather than a hose of the bottom half and a wipe of the top... Doctor said maybe 3 days for the staples. I spent a couple of hours out for a walk today. Made it around a kilometer lol even with out a drain I don't get around quick yet
 
Bloody happy to get it out

Unfortunately the photo of the lump in a jar after removal seems to have gone missing.... maybe the washing of the phone is still effecting it.
 
  Anyway all is good here and i am healing well.

 Enjoy your life

No comments: