Search This Blog

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Back in Negombo


20/8/11
   Spent most of the day online updating the blog nice view tho. The hotel guy took me back to his place for dinner which was nice having a family meal.


21/8/11
Been looking forward to this day, heading up into the mountains hehe. And it is nice up here, some of the roads are ruff but a lot are pretty good really. Road up to Ella which is a bit touristy but you get that. There was a lovely waterfall on the way up, also had a few ooohhh that looked cool, stop, turn around, go back, take a photo, some times stop there for a while to enjoy the view, moments.

This was my Hotel in Ella nice place. Had avocado pear for breakfast, they have a tree.
 Water buffalo.


22/8/11
  This is trekking country so I did the obvious and armoured up and just went riding in the mountains all day, I did come across some rain at one point but as it was still early ish I turned back and went a different way. The roads where all pretty good until I started getting lost then found some really bad ones, one went thro a quarry, had to stop all the traffic when they rolled the big boulders down from the upper levels lol. 


  Of course is it getting lost when you don't actually have a fixed destination, no real plan of where you are going?

23/8/11
   Started heading out toward Kandy and enjoyed the a bit of rain towards the end of the day. I ended up stopping in a Village called Kithul Hakuru, there is a river with lots of hotels along the back which I think are mostly used by Sri Lankans for wedding. I'm quite happy I stopped here as I found a little restaurant next to the hotel I stayed in which made the best Veggie Curry I've ever had, it was mainly this lemon/lime chilly stuff than was great. The lady and daughter who ran the place ended up giving me some of it to take with me lol, she said it should be ok to eat for about a month.



24/8/11
   Woke up to rain, mmm and it rain pretty much all day, oh well had to put the wet weather liners in the gear. The roads where pretty bad at times, mainly for oil/diesel, at one point there was a trail of diesel by the smell of it was on the other side of the road, oh and by trail I mean it covered the whole of the other lane and flowed over to the left on some corners. I'm guessing it was a truck with 44 gallon drums on the back but some didn't have lids, so all the ups and downs it was worse but also on the ruff stuff could be bad.
  Spotted a sign for the film location for the Bridge over the river Kwai, so turned around and went and had a look. An old guy had put out the sign it sounds like he was the jungle boy from the movie and put the sign up to get a bit of extra money.




   Kandy is a bit touristy but well you get that. I did meet an English and States guy well looking for a place to stay, then court up with them again when I still hadn't found somewhere and they where being taken to a place so tagged along to see it.


25/8/11
   Rode back to Negombo via some back road, did rain too much but saying that I had to put the covers on the bags for a while, unfortunately I didn't secure one of the pannier cover properly and when I stopped at one point it was not there and as it was a long ish stint I didn't feel like going back on the off chance I saw it. Oh well will have to sort another way of securing the last one lol.

  Had a nice break at one roadside stall when the rain got bad and got to watch an elephant get walked down the road, he was a big old one (he looked old), and it means finally I've seen something that buses slow for, he probably even gets the right of way. Was definitely a nice day.

These kids came to talk to me at one road side stall.

   Strangely enough Negombo seems a bit better this time than last time, still people ripping you off all over the place but I just don't go to there shops anymore. May help that the 2 guys I meet in Kandy got the card of left for them about this hotel and have ended up coming here for a few days before flying off.

26/8/11
   Didn't do much just writing the blog and catching up on Internet stuff, as I have discovered that I can use my phone as a wifi router meaning I can use my laptop all the time now, and Internet is cheap on the Sim card I have here

27/8/11
Decided to stay here a day longer and get my washing done. Will head into Colombo tomorrow to get the Indian visa.

Well i plan is to head to Chennai from here to buy a motorbike and get some mail from Aussie.
   Enjoy your life.

No comments: